Pages

Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Language of Stupid

Again, I have been slacking in my blogging duties of blogginess. Life has been very spastic and random the last month, and I'm afraid that my brain has not has much room for thinks like... well... thinking. Ergo, actually writing something that would make any sense whatsoever is a rather difficult task.

I leave for Guatemala in 1 week and 6 days. Not that I'm counting or anything. I am officially EXTREMELY excited and also VERY nervous. Being my first international trip and also traveling alone has my nerves in a bit of a tizzy. I tend to do well with traveling independently, however, so I'm sure that I will be just fine. I bought a pocket Spanish dictionary today, along with a phrase book. Whoever thought up phrase books should get a gold star, and maybe even a cookie. Its just fabulous! I shall carry it everywhere with me, so that I shall not forget how to say things like "where is the bathroom" or "does that come with caviar"? Just as long as I don't mix them up and ask if there's caviar in the bathroom, I should be okay.

I purchased some educational CDs for the purpose of refreshing mi Espanol and learning some new phrases back in the fall. My self esteem still has not recovered. I started on the final lesson in that series yesterday and still feel that I am equally as stupid as I was back in October. This is highly disappointing, if for no other reason than I spent money on those darn CDs. Had I had the motivation to keep up with that and listen religiously, it may have actually worked. After the bombardment of a bazillion and a half vocabulary words involving food couldn't even keep me going, I knew that the situation was pretty hopeless. If talking about food can't get me excited.... I'm not sure anything can.

I really need to just take a class. I work much better that way. Plus, its incredibly difficult to really learn how to speak another language when... oh.... you know... you can't actually PRACTICE with anyone. My cat isn't exactly the most beneficial study partner. I think meowese is a universal language. Lucky cat.

But, alas and alack, I cannot join a class and magically learn to speak fluent Spanish in a little over 2 weeks. Hence, I will need to keep my nose in my flashcards and my ears glued to the nice lady on the CDs and pray fervently that my head will not explode in Guatty due to foreign language overloadiness.

May Jesus bless my poor brain. It needs it.

0 comments: