Pages

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Pleasures and Nail Polish

There are few simple pleasures in life that can really bring true joy. Brownies, ice cream, and pickles are on my list of things-that-can-make-me-smile-even-when-I'm-really-crabby-and-stressed-out. Like today. I was very crabby and stressed out. I blame this partially on my job and partially on my back ache. I get very cranky when my back hurts. It must make my blood pressure go up or something, because it simply is not a pretty sight. In case you were wondering, yes, I did eat several brownies today. I'm so glad that I was successfully able to ruin my diet due to lower back pain.

I have another simple pleasure in life that is really rather odd: nail polish. I love nail polish. Alot. I'm not altogether sure why, since I've been a compulsive nail biter for most of my 26 years. I have come to the conclusion, however, that wearing nail polish is somewhat of a cure for my preoccupation. I tend to stay away from my nails when they are painted pretty colors. I do not know why. It doesn't really make sense. But, heck, I'll roll with it.

I had managed to stop chomping on my fingers last spring and had actual long nails for the first time.... ever. It was lovely! I started buying nail polish like I buy accessories (I do love accessories). Forget checking out the earrings when I went shopping. Nail polish was the drug of choice. Then, one very, very sad day, I had a few nails break within a few hours of each other. And also got very stressed out. Possibly due to lower back pain. Anywhoo, low and behold, my fingernails met their fateful end. They have yet to make their triumphant return, although I cannot blame that on anything but habit and stress, as I have not had continuous back pain for the last 6 months.

Last week, I concluded that it was time to put my big girl panties on once again and buckle down on my daily chomp fests. There was only one obvious way to accomplish this tremendous feat: purchase some new nail polish.

So, off I went. I'm not necessarily a bright color person. I tend to go for the dark, brooding colors. Because I'm the dark, brooding type, naturally. However, in celebration of spring time, warm weather (minus the snow showers today), and the hope that comes with newly budding flowers and trees, I decided upon a lovely coral colored polish that brings warmth and joy to my heart with every glance. *Sigh*

Silly, I know. But those simple pleasures are what gets us through life, so I'll take it.

1 comments:

Lauralei said...

No, not silly at all. I understand this entire post. And I must say, I LOVE PICKLES!

ps. Thanks for you comment on my blog ;-)