Pages

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Welcome to my ramblings

So I've finally decided to join the rest of the intelligent (and also not-so-intelligent) masses that blog. Why you may ask? I'm definitely not one for journaling or even really speaking what's on my mind on a personal level. At all. However, due to the demands of a career (ha!) in marketing, along with a highly opinionated nature (ugh), I've decided that blogging may be a good way to rediscover my lost writing skills. I mislaid them somewhere in the pages of that 40 page history seminar paper that I researched, wrote, reresearched and rewrote in five weeks. It may prove to be entertaining to those who dare risk the trauma of getting a peek inside my puny little brain. Its a scary place in there. Enter at your own risk.

About me... I'm one of the average, everyday peoples who was psychotic enough to get a job in Corporate America. It is a frightening place, my friends. Those of you smart enough to stay out, I commend you. Those currently thinking about joining the rat race, run away. Okay, maybe its not quite that bad. In all seriousness, Corporate America is a necessary evil that has helped the US carve its place out as the leader of the western world (or at least that's what we like to think). It provides jobs for millions of people across the expanse that we all call home. Some people even make a lot of money off of it. Note: I do not fall in that category. Some people even enjoy it. Those are also the people that you will find visiting their shrink twice a week so that they can still sleep at night. Note: I do not fall into this category either. I don't sleep. Ever. Crazies. Anyway, however much we do need the beast also known as Corporate America, I often wake up on weekday mornings asking myself one question.... "What the HECK is wrong with me?!?!" Sigh.

Its true. While my corporate job brings me a paycheck twice monthly, almost halfway decent health insurance, and something to do for 45-50 hours a week, it is most often not terribly satisfying. Sure, it has its moments. But cleaning your bathroom floor with a toothbrush also has its moments, most namely when you're done and stand up to look at your clean, sparkling floor with a horrible backache and blackend fingers. Not to mention bruised knees. I often feel that same way about my corporate job. Its most satisfying when I pack up my corporate laptop, shut off the corporate lights in my corporate office and walk my corporately-clad derriere out the door. I often think of becoming an ice cream lady that drives the ice cream truck around Bethlehem. Or a shepherd in the Alps. I think of that one often. I'd rather be on a mountaintop yodeling "RIIIIIIIIICOLAAAAA" with my funny looking hat with a feather in it and a green jumper and wooden shoes than being stuffed in an flurescently lit office in a too-small-for-my-big-butt pencil skirt and 4 inch stilettos.

But, alas and alack, such is life more often than not. Its a vicious cycle of make-believe security that causes us feel all nice and comfy cozy with that steady direct deposit hitting our somewhat already depleted bank account every other week. Satsifying? We lie to ourselves to make it feel that way. Why? Because we're stupid. God forbid we do something exciting and new and risky because our gosh darn sense of security just might be put in jeopardy.

Maybe.... just maybe.... I'll get brave. One day....


Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing. -Helen Keller

1 comments:

Faith said...

I think funniness must be in our genes, little sister. You crack me up. It may just be that you're the real writer in the family :)